Early Head Start Advisory Policy Council
What does Policy Council do?
- Offers a parent and family point of view.
- Serves as a link to parent committees, The Enola Group governing board, public and private organizations, and the commnity.
- Assists in communicating to other parents enrolled in the program.
- Assists in planning, coordinating, and organizing program activities.
- Approves personnel decisions regarding employment of Early Head Start staff.
- Approves annual re-funding application.
- Assists in decisions regarding EHS program budget and Policy Council budget.
- Reviews and suggests change to program policy.
- Establishes and maintains procedures for working with Early Head Start staff to resolve community concerns about the program.
Who can serve on Policy Council?
- The Policy Council members are parents or primary caregivers of currently enrolled children as well as community representatives.
- Individuals may serve on the Policy Council for a maximum of three years, if elected annually.
- Policy Council members re-elected from the prior year provide invaluable expertise and leadership to the group.
- Community representatives consist of: 1) Past parents who want to continue to contribute; and 2) Representatives from the local community organizations that work on behalf of families in need.
Where are meetings held?
- Policy Council Meeting are held at the Caldwell Family Resource Center located at 609 Harper Avenue, Lenoir NC
- Meetings are scheduled for the 3rd (third) Tuesday of every month from 4pm to 5:30pm.
- Dinner and childcare is provided.
What can you expect at meetings?
- A week before the meeting, you will get an agenda via US postal or email.
- You will receive a reminder call the day before the meeting.
- You will have informational handouts to read and discuss.
- Some of the handout information will require a vote for approval from Policy Council. You may hear many different opinions during a required vote topic. Your responsibility is to be the voice to the Policy Council from the parents in the Early Head Start program.
- This is a great opportunity to participate and promote Early Head Start as well as having fun and enjoying time with other parents!
Interested in becoming a Policy Council Member?
- Please contact Tosha Watson, Outreach Specialist at 828-757-8632 or firstname.lastname@example.org